Sir Harry’s Lodge was named after Major General Sir Harry G.W. Smith, Governor of the Cape Province and High Commissioner to the Republic of South Africa from 1848 to 1852. Harrismith is located in the famous Riemland area and is also exactly in the middle of the most important freeways between Durban, Gauteng and Bloemfontein with direct access to and from the N3 highway and N5 corridors.
An average of some 14,000 vehicles pass through this intersection on a daily basis, consisting mainly of national and international tourists, local business travelers and commercial vehicles. The Lodge is annexed to a BP filling station and Avis car hire. It nestles, so to speak, in the shade of the well-known, scenic “Platberg”, on large grounds with beautiful established gardens (manicured and visited by such experts as Keith Kirsten and Ludwig Tashner).
The garden forms part of the greater surrounding property and a fenced off game sanctuary. The main building was restored in 2011 to keep in place the original old world charm. From the spacious reception area flowing through the restaurants, legendary ladies bar and braai facilities to the underground rustic wine cellar.