Find out why WINTER gets us excited
How often do we complain about the chilliness of winter air that suddenly sweeps into our lives, especially after a summer filled with beautiful balmy swimming pool days! It may not be the season for ice cold lemonade but it sure offers a reason to go in search of a few special coffee shops to keep you warm with a hot drink. Perhaps an enjoyable hike with no threat of thunderstorms or a chance to view wild life without thick green bush to get in the way of that all important photograph?
Winter offers us plenty of opportunities to get out and explore, so don’t sit in front of your TV, get onto the N3 Gateway Route and explore what our playground has to offer.
We discovered a few great Winter activities that will get you on the road!
- Trail Running is huge at the moment and what better place to get your running shoes dusty than in the picturesque Central Drakensberg. Cathkin Trails offer 30km’s of trails, join the trail at either The Nest, Drakensberg Brewery, Valley Bakery, Mountain Splendour or Ardmore Guesthouse. Don’t forget to pay your nominal running fee first.
- Take the 5 day Giants Cup Trail hike from Sani Pass to Bushmans Nek, an easy 12km per day walk, with accommodation in the overnight hiking huts.
- Did we mention how great the coffee is at The Millery in Clarens? And, who doesn’t love a delicious hot pancake to go with a creamy cappuccino in winter?
- Catch sightings of an albino Gemsbok at Ingudlane Lodge in Dundee. Ingudlane has the most magnificent rocky crag for guests to absorb the endless views of the reserve and villages in the distance.
- Retail therapy for all is available at Linga Lapa, just off the N3 near Nottingham Road, which offers you a great shopping experience of all things local, plus indigenous plants, excellent biltong and a chance to catch your breath before you head to your next destination.
- Should the day really be miserable, how about a morning or afternoon at Butterflies for Africa in Pietermaritzburg just off the N3? Where young and old can be surrounded by all types of butterflies, birds and view the pretty koi fish in the water.
So there you have it, a few exciting places to get your family and friends to enjoy with you this Winter! For more fabulous places to visit on the N3 Gateway Route, check out our website www.n3gateway.com